Site Meter

10/04/2009

How I met the Njyem in Ekunu

I am convinced that everything is guided and directed by God. There are times when the signs of his involvement become unmistakeable, however, and they point us to his presence in our lives.
A case in point was my initial contact with speakers of Njyem in Yaounde, Cameroon. At that time, I was only slightly involved in anything that concerned them directly. It was in the mid-90's. Mary and I were working with Pastor B. on the translation of the Nzime New Testament.
He indicated that there was a speaker of Njyem who was holding a meeting in his house in the neighborhood of Ekunu. His name was Nanga P. That was all I knew about the host of the meeting or about the location. I knew the time, however, and I knew the place and the time where I would pick up Pastor B. in my pickup.
At the meeting time, I waited for the Pastor and decided that further waiting would be fruitless, so I took off for Ekunu.
There was a drugstore in Ekunu that had the neighborhood's name in its own name. So I knew I had arrived in the neighborhood. I parked and looked for a person to ask for instructions. Seeing a group of about 15 people under a shelter, I made my way to them. They were drinking "pap", or hot thin corn mash, and eating donut holes ("beignets"). I decided from about 20 yards away who I would talk to. Walking straight to him, I asked "Do you know where Nanga P. lives?" He answered, "You are talking to him!" (Of course this is a rough translation from the French.) Then we went to his home and a group of Njyem started gathering in his living room. There were about 25.
The conclusion I reached was that God would be very involved in our ministry to the Njyem. He would bring it to a successful outcome regardless of the difficulties that we would encounter.
The message I passed on to them was of this same character: "God has definite plans to bless you and you should prepare to bow the knee as he inaugurates his kingly rule over you in the near future."

No comments:

Post a Comment