Site Meter

11/25/2010

Maps with better names

On Nov 24 I was asked to represent SIL at a map-making conference here in Yaounde and to talk to people brought in from many countries about the characteristics of the languages in the southern part of Cameroon. Since my background is in the eastern part of Cameroon, I asked a Cameroonian linguist to present the material. We worked on it together and he was very capable, giving the map-makers the help they needed. His name is BINDOM Aime. We are grateful for the Lord's provision of such help. In my brief speech, I urged them to make an effort to use the right names for places. I pointed out that it can sometimes be difficult. Sometimes people refer to a place by means of the name of the clan living in that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment