Site Meter

11/04/2010

New Swo Project Workers

Since Monday, I have been working with Marie-Therese Nanga-Ele, a speaker of Swo residing in Yaounde. She comes in the mornings to work with me on refining my beginner's knowledge of Swo and of its grammar. She has a more and more confident attitude about the meaning of little particles that occur naturally in texts. This week we worked on a complete revision of Genesis 1-2:3 which Pastor Ossimba Simon Pierre brought me last night. He wants to take it back to the village in the form of a little tract on Monday, Nov 8. He comleted the translation of Genesis 2:4-3 and I have a copy to keyboard. My surprise was that the Pastor has also made the mental adjustment this week to being a Bible translator. Around Tuesday the writing system "clicked" in his mind and he sensed that he could write the language. He also reported that he ran the calcultations concerning the time remaining before he finishes the Swo Bible(!). So much for those who said a Swo Bible translation was an unlikely need. Things have a way of taking on a life of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment